cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP redistribution and static routes

gilson_machado
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Distribution router running EIGRP and all remote routers off this distribution router are using static routes (no EIGRP). Will I see any EIGRP traffic in the link (this case Frame Relay) between the distribution router and the remote router?

6 Replies 6

deilert
Level 6
Level 6

not unless you have EIGRP enabled with a network statement on the access routers

OK Thanks for confirming that. I have to fix my network monitor.

Regards,

Gilson

Hmm.... If you have the interface facing the remotes covered under a network statement in EIGRP, the deistibution router is going to send hello's out to each of the remotes, even if they aren't running EIGRP. If you want to cut these out, then you could run the interface that connects to the remotes as a passive interface, or not cover the interface with a network statement.

Russ.W

It make sense but I will have to apply "passive interface" on many Frame subinterfaces or I will have to change the ip address scheem to have the subinterfaces out of the EIGRP.

Thanks,

Gilson

Not really.... You have several options here. In more recent code, you should be able to do:

passive-interface default

no passive-interface xxxxx

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1830/products_feature_guide09186a008008784e.html

So, you can list just the interfaces you don't want to be passive. Another option is to be creative wih the wildcard bits on the network statements under eigrp. For instance, if you have:

E0 10.1.1.0/24

E1 10.1.2.0/24

S1.1 10.1.3.0/31

S1.2 10.1.3.2/31

S1.3 10.1.3.4/31

You can use:

router eigrp 100

network 10.1.1.0 0.0.0.255

network 10.1.2.0 0.0.0.255

You can cover just a specific interface like this:

router eigrp 100

network 10.1.1.1 0.0.0.0

network 10.1.2.1 0.0.0.0

Which would still catch just the ethernets above, if they are on the .1 addresses.

Russ.W

Thank You Russ.

Now it makes more sense. I will apply that and let you know the results.

Thanks

Gilson