cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Routing Traffic

aj42790
Level 1
Level 1

We have a global WAN managed by a third party. The WAN uses EIGRP throughout, and every couple of days we get a huge amount of EIGRP trafic show up on our Fastnet monitoring station. Normally, over 24 Hrs, EIGRP uses up a couple of K bandwidth, but on random days this goes up to 24 GB of traffic, impacting 'normal' traffic. Everything I have read indicates that this is not possible with EIGRP, but it's definately there! Has anyone seen similar problems before, or heard of anything like this? Any pointers much appreciated.

2 Replies 2

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Sounds like you're getting some query "storms." I would look at the eigrp event log (show ip eigrp events) as a start, and try to figure out what actual routes are flapping or changing rapidly to cause this sort of massive packet levels....

Russ

Thanks Russ,

I don't have access to the routers involved, but I have got a breakdown of the traffic. On a normal day over 10 mins we get 400 K of multicast traffic, as expected, but on a bad day we get an additional 56 M of unicast in the same 10 min slot, and through the rest of the day. This is all point to point on a /30 serial link, spread over roughly 20 dlci's, but I can't drill into it further to see what is causing this. These 'bad days' don't form any pattern either, sometimes on a weeend, sometimes mid week, but it we always get a marked increase one day, two days really bad, and a drop off on the fourth day, then back to normal. V. strange...