cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp stub routing

henrybb
Level 1
Level 1

I have following topo,all belong to eigrp as 1,can I use eigrp stub routing on branch router?

I can't find more document on cisco.com.Maybe it is newer tech.

because blank is trunkcated,so I use "*" to express blank

****|---hq_r1(e1)----------------branch_r1-----|

lan|---hq_r3(SAT)-----------------+************|lan

-----|******************************************|---

****|---hq_r2(e1)----------------branch_r2-----|

****|---hq_r4(dial)----------------+

any comment is appreciated!

5 Replies 5

steve.barlow
Level 7
Level 7

Take a look at this link about EIGRP stub routing: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a0080087026.html

I can't make out you diagram but eigrp stub is good for branch locations.

Hope it helps.

Steve

thanks,Steve

I know this document . But I don't know whether stub routing support more than one branch router which is direct connected with lan.

cisco said:"In a hub and spoke network, one or more end (stub) networks are connected to a remote router (the spoke) that is connected to one or more

distribution routers (the hub)."

How about two remote router (the spoke) that is connected to two distribution routers (the hub) with four WAN links?(It is my topo)

From that link:

'A dual-homed remote will have two or more distribution (hub) routers. However, the principles of stub routing are the same as they are with a hub and spoke topology. Figure 2 shows a common dual-homed remote topology with one remote router, but 100 or more routers could be connected on the same interfaces on distribution router 1 and distribution router 2. The remote router will use the best route to reach its destination. If distribution router 1 experiences a failure, the remote router can still use distribution router 2 to reach the corporate network.'

So your topology should work.

But note the restriction section on that link and also the example where stub routing may cause side effects you don't want (ie routing through your remote site).

You may want to look at other solutions (eg summarizing or filtering and/or load balancing). Your decision should be based on that link's warnings, how many routes you have (if your table is small is it worth it?), and what type of link you have to each site (if your link is large/underutilized is it worth it?).

Steve

thanks.

Cisco's document said,stub routing can support dual-homes remote will have two or more distribution (hub) routers.But I can't find any infomation about two or more branch(spoke) routers which is direct connected.

I think stub routing using default route to reach hub from spoke. If branch has default route to local ISP(internet),can I use stub routing?

I have not enough router to do a lab.so I'am confused.

Steve,

the document said:"A stub router should not have any EIGRP neighbors other than distribution routers.Ignoring this restriction will cause undesirable behavior"

So I think stub routing can't be used in my topo which a branch has two router(more than one stub router),am I right?

thanks!

Henry