cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP used by ISP?

genghiskhan
Level 1
Level 1

We have a connection to an ISP for video conferencing only to area High Schools. I have been given access to the ISP router at our site to troubleshoot video quality issues. Upon checking the config file, I was shocked to see that they were using EIGRP.

I was under the impression that only BGP should be used on the INet. I checked the ip routes, which there was probably enough listings to fill 20 8.5"x11" pages. Upon checking the ip eigrp topology, it seemed to have as many entries as the routing table.

The config seems to be wrong to me, first for using eigrp, and second for the number of routes in the routing table. I understand that an INet router will have large routing tables, but all the routes seem to be pointing to only the ISP's addresses.

Any thought would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

preddyi
Level 3
Level 3

May be ISP is using EIGRP in their local AS, without redistributing the internet routes into EIGRP process.

It quite normal that ISP used OSPF in their backbone(local AS), and use BGP in only the boader routers connecting to other AS's.

If this is the case it is alright.

If ISP is redistributing all internet routes into EIGRP process then it is not recomended or not a good idea.

There's nothing wrong with an ISPF using EIGRP as their ISP. As for redistributing the 'net routing table into EIGRP, they'd be crazy. :-)

The numbers of routes involved are probably a 10 to 1 ratio, but there's probably so many that you wouldn't know without counting the routes. A show ip route summ would probably be the best thing to tell you what's being carried where in the network.

:-)

Russ.W