Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

eigrp

Can anyone tell me if I have 2 links to the same place, how would I know which link eigrp is using, and would it automatically load balance between the links ?

4 REPLIES

Re: eigrp

It depends on the cost or metrics of the two links you're talking about. By default EIGRP load balances across equal-cost links and will load balance across up to 4 equal cost links. If you want EIGRP routes to be load balanced across 6 equal cost links then use the maximum-paths x statement under the EIGRP process. If you have two unequal cost links then you can use the variance router configuration command to have load balancing across unequal links

Hello,

the easiest way to tell, that load balancing is happening is with"show ip route". In case both pathes show up in the IP routing table load balancing will occur.

In case you have CEF in place then "show ip cef 10.1.1.0" would also provide the answer whether f.e. towards 10.1.1.0 load balancing will happen.

As already denoted by the previous poster you can influence this in EIGRP with the "variance" command.

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

What do the commands show ip eigrp topology tell me ?

Silver

'show ip eigrp topology' shows you the Successor (best path) and Feasible-Successor (next best path) to every subnet known via EIGRP.

Sometimes you may have alternate paths that are not Feasible-Successors which you can see with 'show ip eigrp topology all-links'

You can go into further detail on a per destination basis with 'show ip eigrp topology 10.1.1.0 255.255.255.0' ... where 10.1.1.0 is used as an example subnet. This will show you the metrics of each patch to a destination.

I have attached a good document explaining all of this for you.

Please rate this post.

Thanks,

Brad

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content