Views
Helpful
Replies

enable SNMP traps on 3640 IOS gateway

Sascha Monteiro
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I have a configuration question. I want to enable some snmp traps, but the Tech Note is not quite clear about this.

I have a 3640 gateway with 12.2(8)T IOS (IP PLUS)

I want to enable ISDN,DSP,VOICE and SNMP traps.

Do I need

config 1:

snmp-server host 10.10.11.6 public isdn dsp snmp voice //btw this command is Ambiguous with dsp in it!!!

snmp-server enable traps isdn

snmp-server enable traps dsp

snmp-server enable traps snmp

snmp-server enable traps voice

-------

or config 2:

snmp-server host 10.10.11.6 public

snmp-server enable traps isdn

snmp-server enable traps dsp

snmp-server enable traps snmp

snmp-server enable traps voice

//if I read the tech-note, I think all traps are sent to the host, not only the 4 enabled traps.

Can someone help me with this?

Regards,

Sascha Monteiro

4 Replies 4

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Thanks, but that is the tech-note I was talking about. So it is not quite clear for me what to do.

And I think it is a bug that I can't put the dsp in the host commandline, it is in the help though.

Regards,

Sascha

"The snmp-server host command is used in conjunction with the snmp-server enable command. Use the snmp-server enable command to specify which SNMP notifications are sent globally. For a host to receive most notifications, at least one snmp-server enable command and the snmp-server host command for that host must be enabled. " cited from the link above.

So both configs will work.

If you had more than one host to send traps to, you would enter 2(two) "snmp-server host" commands, and you could specify (in the same command) which ones of the traps (enabled with the "snmp-server enable" command) you would send to each host.

Am I clear?

So, if you just enter the "snmp-server host" command with no parameters it means it will send all enabled (enabled with the "snmp-server enable" command) traps to that host.

(I haven't tried but so states the documentation)

Thanks, but 1 sentence bothers me, quote:

"You should also specify the trap types if you don't want all traps to be sent. Then use multiple snmp-server enable traps commands, one for each of the trap types that you used in the snmp host command."

So If I read this I think that if I don't put parameters in the "snmp-server host" command, all traps are anabled, no matter what "snmp-server enable" commands I use.

Sorry for this, but I think the tech-note is vague.

Does anybody now if it is a bug that I can't put the dsp parameter in the "snmp-server host" command.

Regards,

Sascha

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: