cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

entered wrong confreg...router doesn't boot up

m.matteson
Level 2
Level 2

I entered in a wrong config register in ROMMON and now my router doesn't boot. when it does it get all strange characters. help? thanks. i reboot and send a break but i still get random characters

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael

The reason that a wrong confreg can change the baud of the console connection is because there are bits in the configuration register (used to be 2 bits now it can be 3 bits) that control the speed of the console connection. If your wrong confreg happens to change one of those bits then you change the baud of the console.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

AFAIK if u dont remember the config register value which you have set,u can try out with different baud speed rate.

BTW in which model of cisco box you are trying to recover ?

regds

thank guys that seemed to be the problem, i changed it to a higher baud (192). out of curiousity why would adding a wrong confreg change the baud?

Michael

The reason that a wrong confreg can change the baud of the console connection is because there are bits in the configuration register (used to be 2 bits now it can be 3 bits) that control the speed of the console connection. If your wrong confreg happens to change one of those bits then you change the baud of the console.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick

Thanks for your awesome answer. That defenatly helped. I just started to look around cisco's site for information about what you said. I found this - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a008022493f.shtml

Everything you said was right there. Guess I'll have to search harder next time - hopefully there will be no next time. haha

-Mike

frenzeus
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

u've most probably changed the baud rate on ur router. No worries, try changing the baud rate on ur hyper terminal. In fact, try changing the various rate until u see "normal" characters.

Hope it helps.