Views
Helpful
Replies

err-disabled

ney25
Level 2
Level 2

Hi NetPro,

does anyone knows have any idea about the HP Server, this server(HP Server 380G4 ILO), still keep err-disabled in Cat 4006 switchport, eventhought i have put the "errdisable recovery cause all" , the err-disabled still keeping up. any idea about this ?

your reply will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Jack

10 Replies 10

Hello Jack,

the HP 380G4 has the 10/100/1000T Gigabit NICs, right ? Do you have both sides (NIC and switchport) set to fixed speed and duplex settings ? Usually, the switch log tells you why the port has been put in err-disabled, can you check the log ?

Regards,

GP

Hi GP,

Yes, the HP 380G4 has 3 ports, 2 used for Teaming, 1 for ILO only. normally, ILO it just for standby only, 2 ports for teaming which no problem for that, but ILO port kept showing err-disabled. it shown the "link-flap", at first i thought it was switchport problem, and switch to another port. but the err-disabled still comes again.

any idea about this ?

Regards,

Jack

Hello Jack,

does the ILO card get a DHCP address from another subnet by any chance, that is, do you have UDP helpers configured for the ILO to get its IP address ?

I don´t want to sound cheap, but you might want to check if you have the latest driver installed for the ILO, here is the link to the relevant HP website:

software and drivers

Lights-Out products

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/index.html

Regards,

GP

Hi GP,

i have checked with the server team engineer, normally they setup a new server, ILO will auto get the ip address, as what we did in usual. but then this time, ILO has err-disabled occurred show on the switch port. i was wondering about that.

Regard,

Jack

DWAM_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

perhaps you can try theses tasks :

-> to change cable

-> to connect the server direct another network device (in order to know if the is problem is due to nic or others ?)

-> if you change the port where the server is connected, have you got the same error (link/flap)?

-> you can have a look on http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/46.html

(bug ?)

Good luck.

Regards.

Hi , Thanks alot.

- Network cable changed.

- connected to another network device.(Tested)

- yes, has changed to another port, still got the same error.

any idea ?

Regards,

Jack

HI Jack,

Can you confirm the nic settings om your server. I mean whether it is set for speed and duplex settings as auto auto or manual settings for speed and duplex?

By default the swithport settings are auto auto and sometime negotiation does not work as expected between the switchport and server and that results in errors and errdisable ports.

Regards,

Ankur

Dear Ankur,

Normally, Server Administrator setup new server, they can't put static ip at the first place, they must get the ip address from DHCP server. this is HP 380G4 model, it has 2 NIC card and 1 ILO Card. as i mentioned before, 2 NIC was ok, the err-disabled only occurred in the ILO card. while setup ILO card, ILO needn't to put static ip address, speed 100 and full duplex. it is auto assigned by DHCP server. same as my cisco switch port setting, speed auto and duplex auto as well. i was wondering about while this while wasn't have problem setup for server. but this time same way using but err-disabled occurred.

Regards,

Jack

Hi Jack,

I understand your concept of dynamically getting an IP address and also let the speed and duplex settings as auto by default but sometime as I specified auto negotiation does not work.

What I will recommend you leave the server to get the IP address dynamically and no need to assign a static IP address but just try changing the speed and duplex settings to manual settings and also change it on the switch side to see if that resolves the issue.

Again Just Speed and Duplex settings

HTH

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

Thanks for advise, will try it. i think this is could be the root cause. thanks alot.

Regards,

Jack

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: