Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Error Correction and IPSec

Hi, this is the case:

remote user----SPnetwork----router-intranet

Remote user is using an ADSL modem and accessing some resources in yhe intranet. Assuming that application running between remote user and an intranet server is totally unreliable and service provider network is unreliable too. My question:

May I use IPSec as an error detection / correction mechanism between remote user and my router? May it handle packet corruption and loss errors without intervention of the intranet server?

Regards.

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Error Correction and IPSec

Packet corruption should be detected by CRC/checksum fields in various headers, TCP & UDP in particular. IPSec can be used for this, I suppose, but it's a pretty ugly way of doing things.

Packet loss is another story. The application is going to have to detect it one way or another if the underlying protocols are unreliable. I don't see how IPSec would help you here.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Error Correction and IPSec

your question was about error CORRECTION. there are two phases to achieve this: DETECTION of error and CORRECTION. IPSec would be helpful for the phase of detection of error. Correction of error usually implies either manipulation of data to eliminate error or retransmission of data. IPSec does not provide any assistance with either of these. So basically the answer to your question is that you should not use IPSec as a correction mechanism.

Views
Helpful
Replies