Helpful
Replies

Errors seen on ports of a switch

khayhuynh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I get back IfInErrors and IfOutErrors in SNMP which correspond to

"The number of inbound packets that contained errors preventing them from being deliverable to a higher-layer protocol."

and

"The number of outbound packets that could not be transmitted because of errors."

However, when I notice that this values are high, I do not know how to fix the problem!

-Check the speed applied on the port which has a high errors value?

-Check the cables?

-Other but what?

Thanks u by advance for your help!

2 Replies 2

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

First check the status of the interface with

"sh interface command" and find out what all errors are observed.

Then check the speed and duplex settings on both the ends and if possible set them manually on both the ends and clear the counters with "clear counters" command and observer if you see further errors and if still persist try changing the cable.

Also make sure that the distance between the machine connected to the switch is not a very large distance somewhere near 100 meters.

HTH

Ankur

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

First check the status of the interface with

"sh interface command" and find out what all errors are observed.

Then check the speed and duplex settings on both the ends and if possible set them manually on both the ends and clear the counters with "clear counters" command and observe if you see further errors and if still persist try changing the cable.

Also make sure that the distance between the machine connected to the switch is not a very large distance somewhere near 100 meters.

HTH

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: