cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ether Channel for WAN connection

limmooteng
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2 WAN connection from the ISP 2 links (155M and 300M) . We would like to perform a Etherchannel on this links.

Both the links termination are RJ45 to a Layer 3 switch. Can we configure Ether-Channel ? What is the condition for EtherChannel (eg no signalling from ISP) ?

3 Replies 3

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

an etherchannel must be built with links of the same speed.

it seems as though you have two different link speeds, hench two possibly different frame sizes (maybe)

also, you would need the cooperation with the ISP to setup an etherchannel on their switch to accomodate. (if the links were the same)

Thanks for the reply. Does that mean it is possible ti have EtherChannel as long as the Service Provider setup EtherChannel on their end ?

If you're on an ethernet connection, you should be able to do etherchannel but like what the others have said, you're do not have the same speed for each, load-sharing wouldn't be optimal.

i'd rather do balancing via BGP by choosing what prefix gets advertised to a certain link, so I can at least maximize the two links. I have the same scenario before, I had 1 FastEthernet and 1 STM1 to a service provider, eBGP multihop load-share wouldn't cut it, I have to do manual prefix advertisement.

hope that helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: