Helpful
Replies

EtherChannel b/w Windows Server and Switch

shahid_raza74
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friends,

AOA...

I have a Windows 2000 Server with Two NICs and have Two Switches (Catalyst 2950T-24)...Can I implement EtherChannel b/w them? If Yes then how/commands needed.

Actually I don't want to connect both Cables from server to One single Switch... but I want to connect one cable with One switch and other cable with Another Switch...If this...then how I can create EtherChannel with only one link (i.e. single cable connecting Windows Server with Catalyst Switch).

Pls. help me...

Regards,

Shahid

5 Replies 5

Hi!

What I would suggest is that you 'team' your server's NIC cards and implement HSRP between your two switches. This way even if one of your switch fails you would still be on the network, or even if one of the switch goes down.

How to go about teaming would depend on the brand of your NICs.

For more on HSRP, click on the following link -->

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00801a6c32.html#1365520

Hope it helps.

Please rate all helpful posts.

Regards,

AbhisheK

Thanks Abhishek, But my question was that is it possible to create an EtherChannel b/w Windows Server and Catalyst Switch (while both NICs will be connected with separate switches)?

Now come to your reply, you suggested HSRP, what about RSTP (rapid-PVST) b/w Switches instead of HSRP? I mean which is more suitable and will give lowest reconvergence time?

Regards,

Shahid

shahid,,,

HSRP is for redundancy and RSTP is for the loop avaoidance as well as fast convergence ...HSRP will be usefull for the highavaibility option in you network....so if you are looking for fast convergence then RSTP is good...but you cannot have comparision of HSRP and RSTP both are different working technology...

regards

Devang

Thanks...last two questions:

Can I run HSRP between Catalyst 2955 (Cisco Industrial Switch)? I mean HSRP supportable in 2955.

Can I implement EtherChannel b/w Windows Server and Catalyst 2955?

Regards,

Shahid

HSRP is layer-3 protocol, therefore only available on multilayer switches only (at least Cat 3560 with Enhanced Image). So, no, Cat 2900 series (Cat 2955, 2960, etc.) do not support HSRP.

I'm not aware of EtherChannel support on any platform other than Cisco, since EtherChannel is a Cisco proprietary protocol. However, at the very least, multiple identical NICs with the correct driver should support LACP (IEEE 802.3ad), which is the standards-based protocol for link bundling/aggregation.

Now, link bundling is only possible between two nodes. In your case, between your Windows server and ONE of the switches. You can NOT bundle links across two physical switches (except for Cat 3750 configured in a stack, but that's another story!).

Cheers