Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

EtherChannel Frame Distribution

I am confused as to how EtherChannel Frame Distribution works.. or why it is used. I have read the "technical know-hows" (i.e. reducing the bit pattern to a numerical value, etc).. but if someone could provide me with a more simplistic explanation of what it is, how it works, & where it would be used best.. it would be greatly appreciated. Any & all comments welcome.. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: EtherChannel Frame Distribution

with the above comments, how this links helps you more

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/4.html

2 REPLIES

I will try to give an answer on the why instead of on the how (since these are different depending upon the switch involved).

Provided you have a need for increased bandwidth, you can bundle more slower link, but you introduce multiple paths where the frames can be instradated and this is beyond the design of ethernet, since in a single ethernet there were no provision for out of order frames i.e. an ethernet was a single LAN and the order of wich packet were received was the order in which they were sent.

Therefore there must be a deterministic method to make sure that when more packet with a given source and destination MAC address are sent, they take the same path so there is no issue with the delivery order.

TCP has no problems with out of order datagrams but you cannot exclude lower layer problems. Additionally packet reordering wastes resources in the hosts and should be avoided expecially at full fast ethernet speeds (and above).

HTH

Fabio

Cisco Employee

with the above comments, how this links helps you more

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/473/4.html

Views
Helpful
Replies