Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

EtherChannel interface and load balanced

((By default all traffic sent over an EtherChannel interface is load balanced

based on the source MAC address of the frame. This can sometimes be a

problem when a large amount of traffic is coming from the same source, such as

a file server, media server, etc)).

What does it mean “load balanced based on the source MAC address of the frame” ? I am looking for some explanation ?

4 REPLIES

Re: EtherChannel interface and load balanced

Bronze

Hello,

in addition to Leo´s post, here is a practical example:

Let´s say you have a mail server connected to a switch, and that switch is connected to another switch through an Etherchannel. All clients get their mail from that mail server. The way Etherchannel works is by using the various channel member links based on the source MAC address. In the case of the mail server, that means that all traffic coming from the mail server would always use the same member channel interface. In this scenario, it would be better to configure ´port-channel load-balance dst-mac´ globally, in order to base the load balancing on the MAC address of the clients. Since there are multiple client MAC addresses, the load balancing mechanism of the Etherchannel would distribute the load across all the member links.

Regards,

Nethelper

I was trying to read the thread that Leo posted, but I received your response.

Suppose the EtherChannel in your exanple between SWA's interfaces Fa0/10 and Fa0/11 and SWB's Fa0/12 and Fa0/13,,,,and the mail server is connected to SWB.

Clients are connected to SWA's interfaces (form Fa0/0 -->Fa0/9)

You said :

"The way Etherchannel works is by using the various channel member links based on the source MAC address"

My understanding to your explaination that the member link in my case is Fa0/10 and Fa0/11,,,now what did you mean by : "based on the source MAC address" ? does it the source MAC address for Fa0/10 and F0/11 ? or the source MAC address for clients that are connected to SWA ?

"that means that all traffic coming from the mail server would always use the same member channel interface".

1- Is there any possibility not to use the same member channel interface ?

2- Did you mean by the same member channel these interfaces (Fa0/10,Fa0/11,Fa0/12,Fa0/13) ?

"Since there are multiple client MAC addresses, the load balancing mechanism of the Etherchannel would distribute the load across all the member links".

What did you mean by distribute here ? does it normal distribution ? does it mean with the higher MAC adress it gets higher bandwidth,,,or some thing elas

Any comment

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content