Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

etherchannel load balancing options

Reading up on my Etherchannel load balancing options (src or dst, mac or IP) it seems to me that I don't have a good way of using Etherchannel to increase bandwidth in my situation. In my scenario, I have a Windows terminal server servicing a couple hundred users which are using a SQL database on a 2nd server. Both servers are on the same switch. Basically I only have one MAC and one IP. Is there a way to utilize multiple links in this scenario? It seems like I would need a packet based technique to take advantage of multiple channels and unfortunately that isn't an option with etherchannel. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Diego

4 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: etherchannel load balancing options

Hi Diego,

If I understand you correctly, your scenario is similar to this

200users--Switch===channel===Switch--Server1+2

If that's how it is set up, then you have multiple source addresses with the same destination address. So if you select either 'source' or 'source and destination' as your frame distribution method, then you should have a pretty even distribution of traffic.

HTH,

Bobby

*Please rate helpful posts.

Actually I don't have multiple source addresses because all 200 users are running as terminal sessions on just one server. There are multipler RDP (remote desktop) sessions to server1 but as far as server 2 is concerned all traffic comes from server1's MAC and IP.

As with all things, it depends. You didn't mention the model of switch but if it has a PFC2 or better card, you also have L4 options. You can use the src-dst-port if you DB uses separate sessions for each lookup, that may help. If you do not have the src-dst-port option on your switch or your DB uses a single session for all lookups, then you are correct in assuming etherchannel will not help you.

I am planning to use existing 3750 switch. Maybe an IOS upgrade will allow the option you speak of?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content