cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel load-balancing

gholbrow
Level 1
Level 1

I have an etherchannel set up with 2 ports connecting 2 3550-12Ts. I am trying to steam large amounts of data from 6 ports of the upstream switch to a few clients connected to the downstream switch. How can I force data from a source port to use a specific port in the etherchannel? The only documentation that I can find says that traffic will use the same port for all traffic between 2 hosts.

What I really want to do is have the traffic on ports 1,2 and 3 use the first port in the etherchannel, and traffic from 4, 5 and 6 use the second port of the etherchannel.

I have complete flexibility in the network and can change any / all of the ip addresses for all machines involved. What I really need is to know what I should set them to so I can guarantee the traffic will follow a specific path.

Is the routing algorithm availible so I can calculate what IPs to use for all servers/clients involved to segment the traffic?

thanks for any help,

greg

1 Reply 1

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

Greg,

At it's most granular level you can only load-balance on an L2 port-channel using the following:

Awesome Catalyst Switch(config)#port-channel load-balance ?

dst-ip Dst IP Addr

dst-mac Dst Mac Addr

dst-port Dst TCP/UDP Port

src-dst-ip Src XOR Dst IP Addr

src-dst-mac Src XOR Dst Mac Addr

src-dst-port Src-Dst TCP/UDP Port

src-ip Src IP Addr

src-mac Src Mac Addr

src-port Src TCP/UDP Port

This will not get you "this port to that port" loading but might get you a better spread across the channel depending upon the type traffic that is being sent. What your talking about would require PBR (Policy based routing) which, as far as I know, is not there for any L2 policy decisions that would meet your needs.

Hope this helps you,

Don

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: