cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel on 4000 sup II 's

alonzo-garza
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question? When I configure port 1/1-2 for etherchannel between 2 4000's is it a good idea to configure portfast enabled on those ports, or should I just keep portfast disabled??

Thanks in advance,

~zo

5 Replies 5

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Portfast should be disabled on any link connecting to a hub/switch or a router

Why should portfast be disabled on a connection to/from a router? That connection should act just like a DTE device.

-Bo

Probably, because if spanning-tree is enabled it needs it's 15 to 30 seconds to converge and start forwarding to another path. You see if portfast is enabled on these ports and let's say that spanning-tree has a topology change then not enough time may pass between the blocking and forwarding states so theoretically you could have a loop. So that's why it is safe to turn port fast OFF when you connect a switch to switch / router connection. I think it's recommended to only use portfast on switch to workstation nics...

~zo

Your synopsis is true of switches, even layer 3 switches. However a router ,say a 2600 with an ethernet NIC, should be connected utilizing portfast so that your routing instance comes up more quickly.

-Bo

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

Error!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: