Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Etherchannel question

Hi!

I'm confused about the non-silent and silent option in the channel-group command.

If both end are configured with silent submode and auto mode, will the channel be established? Will the channel be established if both end are configured as silent mode, but one end with auto mode and the other end as desirabe?

Can i estabhlish a etherchannel without using PAgp or lacp? Is there any silent or non-silent sub mode in lacp?

There's one statement that i read from the cisco press book that i do not understand:

EtherChannel on mode does not send or receive PAgP or LACP packets. Therefore, both ends should be set to on mode before the channel can form.

What does that meant? Thks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Etherchannel question

You can establish etherchannel with both sides as ON-ON, With this no protocols will be used.

Instead if you want protocols,

Say for PAgP:

Auto-Desirable or Desirable-Desirable works

For LACP

Active-Active or Active-Passive works.

If both the sides are silent say AUTO-AUTO, then the PAgP will not establish the etherchannel, similarly Passive with LACP.

4 REPLIES

If both end are configured with silent submode and auto mode, will the channel be established?

>> No, if both sides are in auto mode, the channel will not and should not form - Per configuration guide auto on both sides will not established channeling as both ends are in passive negotiating state in which the port responds to PAgP packets it receives but does not initiate PAgP packet negotiation.

Will the channel be established if both end are configured as silent mode, but one end with auto mode and the other end as desirabe?

>>> Yes, same reason as above.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_8_1/confg_gd/channel.htm#wp1033813

Can i estabhlish a etherchannel without using PAgp or lacp?

yes, in PaGP and LaCP are called "on". On this mode neither channel protocol will send "negotiation" to form channel as a result you need to turn mode "on" on both sides. And threfore once you force the channel to "on" there is really no PaGP nor LaCP being sent, hence, there is no PaGP nor LaCP.

Is there any silent or non-silent sub mode in lacp?

No, silent and non-silent modes are for PaGP.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/sw_8_1/confg_gd/channel.htm#wp1033813

There's one statement that i read from the cisco press book that i do not understand:

EtherChannel on mode does not send or receive PAgP or LACP packets. Therefore, both ends should be set to on mode before the channel can form.

>> See above the answer to your first question.

Please rate helpful posts.

Cisco Employee

You can establish etherchannel with both sides as ON-ON, With this no protocols will be used.

Instead if you want protocols,

Say for PAgP:

Auto-Desirable or Desirable-Desirable works

For LACP

Active-Active or Active-Passive works.

If both the sides are silent say AUTO-AUTO, then the PAgP will not establish the etherchannel, similarly Passive with LACP.

Hi! If we can turn on etherchannel by ON-ON on both side, then what's the reason or purpose of using either PAgP or LACP?

What's the purpose of silent/non-silent if the etherchannel establishment is based on auto,desirable and on?

Thks!.

I am also curious about the purpose/usefulness of the auto and desirable modes for Etherchannel. What are the advantages over simply using the "ON" mode?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content