Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel

Level 1
Level 1

can etherchannel span 2 boxes? Can you have port gig0/1 on switch A and port gig0/1 on switch B belong to etherchannel 1 if A and B are connected and terminate at C.

5 Replies 5

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

No. Both Pagp and LACP channeling are uncapable of this setup.

Hope this helps you,

Don

Would you happen to know of any documentation that says this?

About this problem is ok. But this configuration is possible if switch A is stackble with switch B ?

Can I do the configuration that we were talking about If I would have 2

switches Stakable?

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

You can't do it.

What you may have seen is multi-port "teaming" Nics (like 3COM or Intel) with a couple channels each going to two different switches (offers bandwidth aggregation and redundancy). Only one channel group is actually passing traffic, the other is in standby until the primary fails or otherwise goes offline.

FWIW

Scott

Just to add to your point on "teaming", Compaq also has this feature and they refer to it as "ALB" (adaptive load balancing, I think). We use it extensively where GigE servers are redundantly connected to two 6513 server pool switches. We also have many using ALB where the primary is GigE and the fail-over is 100. That's quite sufficient in most cases and a heck of a lot cheaper than having idle GigE ports! You are able to force specify which NIC is primary, if that was your next question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: