cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel

kope
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to set up a Etherchannel across two seperate switches? The two switches has a trunk between them. Thanks.

4 Replies 4

gpulos
Level 8
Level 8

yes, in fact, etherchannel is used as a "port aggregation" between switches to create bigger logical links than exist natively on the switch.

ie: to have a 400MB link between two swiches, create an etherchannel of 4 100MB links. (must be done on both switches; limitations on which ports can belong to an etherchannel; cannot use 2 ports from blade 2 and 2 ports from blade 5; usually must be consecutive ports or at least controlled by the same ASIC)

Roberto Salazar
Level 8
Level 8

no, you cannot create an inter-chassis channel, if that's what you mean. for example, switch A has gig 1 and gig 2 where gig 1 of switch connects to gig 1 of switch B and gig 2 of switch A connects to gig 1 of switch C, so you'll have something like

Scenario 1:

Switch B gig 1----gig1 SwitchA gig2----gig1 switchA

You cannot create on switch A to combine gig 1 and gig 2, because the connection does not terminate to a signle switch.

If you mean

Scenario 2:

Switch A gig1 and gig2----gig1 and gig 2 switchB

Then this is acceptable, I hope this is what you mean when you said "two separate switches". If you mean Scenario 1 there is not a proper channel configuration and it not supported on any Cisco switches unless the two separate switches are two 3750 switches that are stacked together via stackwise cable.

Please rate helpful posts.

I was trying to create etherchannel across two switches. For example, Cat 6509_A, 4/10 and Cat 6509_B, 5/10. I was trying to create etherchannel

on this two ports. I think i am falling in Scenario 1

as you mentioned which is not possible.

Thank you your help.

Your example:

Cat 6509_A, 4/10 and Cat 6509_B, 5/10

only shows two switches, I was refering to three switch where the channeling from one switch that connects to "two separate switches", as in "V" topology. anyway, so your example above are two point to point switches and you should be able to channel, however, you need at least two indentical interfaces on each switch to channel, you can configure one interface on each switch connected back to back to channel but then what would be the goal of creating channel on one interface?