Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

EtherChannel?

I have a situation where I have four 2Mbps links which I wish to combine to operate as a single 8Mbps pipe. I thought to use EtherChannel for this, but have been advised that this protocol will not work over the slow links.

Is this the case, and if so what alternative solution might I use?

John Clayton.

9 REPLIES

Re: EtherChannel?

Hi,

Multilink PPP will allow you to create a "8 Mbps pipe". The configuration of Multilink PPP is described f.e. in "Using Multilink PPP over Serial Interface Links"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00804a40f9.html

It would look like this:

interface Multilink1

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

interface Serial0

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

interface Serial1

no ip address

encapsulation ppp

no fair-queue

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

Hope this helps! Please rate all posts.

Regards, Martin

hi...

you can have MULTILINK PPP on it...so you can creat one multilink bunch and you can add the multiple link to it...

regards

Devang

Maybe I was not very clear. The two Mbps links are actually presented as 10/100 ethernet. It's just that they then go over dsl links, and the data is restricted to 2Mbps.

John.

hi,

then you have to use the multiple default route with the same AD... as you are going to deal with the internet service provider... other option is to have BGP...

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Many thanks for these helpful suggestions.

In fact it doesn't go to an ISP, but over a private line to another part of my network, which I want to run on the same network without routing if possible.

John

will you give me more detail about both the end devices...

At the moment they are 3550s with the enhanced image, but I could consider something else if necessary.

Hello,

are you saying that you have your Ethernet ports configured for PPPoE ? Can you post the configuration of your 3550 ?

Regards,

GNT

Maybe it would be useful to explain a bit more of what I want to do. I have 2Mbps radio circuits from 4 remote (20 Miles) sites which terminate in a location one mile from our own site. These are terminated as G7.03. I then have four leased lines and use dsl modems over the local tails to my home site, each running at 2Mbps to match the G7.03. So each of the remote sites has a separate path through to a 3550 at this end and operate separately.

To improve resilience and performance I want to group the 4 2Mbps local tails into a single 8Mbps pipe. I know how to look after the multiplexing of the incoming radio circuits.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content