cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchanneling from switch to server?

c.fuller
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know if a technology exist for etherchanneling from a switch to a server? Is there a way to use four switch ports to connect to four data ports on a server and achieve 400Mbps? I have never heard of this, but figured I would throw it out there. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

docwatson
Level 1
Level 1

Intel sells Etherchannel NICs:

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro100s_srvr_adapter.htm

Very, Very Cool Devices. Problem is though, few servers can saturate a 100Mbps connection, much less a 200 or 400Mbps one.

-Chris-

7rbowenii
Level 3
Level 3

We have been very succesful in implementing NIC teaming (channeling) with COMPAQ servers. I would check out ther offerings, I'm sure you could just buy the cards if need be. We have some 400 Mbps channels in production and we have seen loads at 300Mbps+

kell.nl
Level 1
Level 1

Using a Linux/Unix server it is possible by using bonding.

bonding=*nix name for channeling.

If you search the web on ifenslave you will find more info.

nnorthedge
Level 1
Level 1

A few years back, I know Compaq and Cisco worked together on their etherchannel package to servers. The real problem I had at the time was how the etherchanneling worked based on the last two bits in the MAC address. The technology used these last to bits from the destination and source to determine which of the four etherchannel ports would be used. So, If most of your traffic's next hop was a router, all that traffic would go over one of the four links, all the time, even if the other three had nothing on them. I haven't followed up on it lately, so maybe some advances have been made. You may want concider GB if you can.

Norman

DALE FRANCIS
Level 3
Level 3

Depending on the H/W you have you can set the LB algo to load balance based on src/dst IP address. You might also consiser looking to see if the switch OS/IOS supports 802.3ad.

I know Intel do an adapater that can help you... have a look at this URL and also note that this all depends if Intel has stuck to Cisco's standards for PaGP, hence the reason i say if you can use 802.3ad then go for it.:)

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/ans/teaming.htm