cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet interface redundancy in a single router?

wgmt
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to figure out a way to make my network redundant to the backplane of my 3640 edge router running 12.2(23). I have 2 ethernet interfaces in 2 different slots on the router. I would like to make e1/0 backup e0/0 in case of a network module failure. I've searched hard but can't find the technique to do this. I've seen where it can be done with bri interfaces, and between routers with hsrp/vrrp, but not with ethernet interfaces inside the same router. I'm stuck. Hopefully, I'm just overlooking a simple solution. Any ideas? All recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks,

BT

2 Replies 2

wgmt
Level 1
Level 1

Nevermind.

After digging a little deeper I discovered the miracle of transparent IRB and BVIs.

Thanks to any and all who considered my problem and donated brain cells trying to help.

To anyone else with the same issue, this link may be a good starting point.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00800ca767.html#1041949

Look under Integrated Routing and Bridging.

BT

banajahm
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

did you try using "backup interface" and "backup delay" commands in int config mode. these two are used to specify what interfaces to back up as well as how long the router should wait before bringing up the bacckup link.

hope this helps

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: