cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ethernet interface

d_j_o_e
Level 1
Level 1

Help. I have a new 2600 router and when I plug my NIC from my PC into the fast ethernet port I can not ping the router.

I have given the router int an IP address of 192.168.100.1 and my PC an address of 192.168.100.2. I used a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 on both.

The router interface is turned on.

What do I need to do?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

rsissons
Level 5
Level 5

I would first check if the interface on the router show as Up/Up. If not, you probably have a physical problem, like a bad cable.

ali-franks
Level 1
Level 1

You using a X-over cable? If so check the interface as Rona suggeted by using

show ip interface brief

If it's up/down there's a physical problem. Check the cable and check that the int. is not "adminstratively down"

HTH

Ali

o.hassairi
Level 1
Level 1

did u connect your pc to the fastethernet of the router directly using a straight cable?

if yes, u should use a crossover cable not a straight cable or use a switch or a hub to connect both PC & router using straight cables

deepakmalik
Level 1
Level 1

Check cord connected from router to PC is OK, it should be a cross-over cable, check whether the interface is shutdown or not. If yes the use "no shutdown" command on the ethernet interface. Last option is check for the speed of your NIC, it can be that your NIC is set at some other speed and router ethernet interface is set at some other speed.

marcosjr
Level 1
Level 1

You need to have a crossover cable in order to connect directly to the router. Try that and I bet it will work.

k.chow
Level 1
Level 1

I presume that the NIC and router are not faulty....Did you use the right cable? Make sure it's a cross-cable. Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco