Helpful
Replies

Ethernet throughput limitation

b.shoresh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

When using Half-duplex 10Mbps ethernet connection :

1) What is the maximum operational throughput I can get working just one way at the same time?

2) What is the maximum operational throughput I can get working both ways at the same time?

When working Full-duplex 10Mbps - how do the above values change ?

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

mattgioia
Level 1
Level 1

1) Half-Duplex 10Mbs theoretical - Full Duplex same answer: 10Mbs one direction

2) Half-duplex means you cannot trans/rec simultaniously. You can receive (again theoretical) up to 10Mbs or transmit @ 10Mbs. Full Duplex 20Mbs - Transmit + recieve simultaniously @ 10Mbs.

Hello.

Thank you for the reply, but I think I didn't clearify myself enough.

I know that half-duplex = one way 10Mbps, but when trying to send data both directions at the same time, the CSMA/CD mechanism will take place and so the actual bandwidth is less than 10Mbps. My question is how much bandwidth I can assume in the situation when I have bidirectional attempts to transmit data on 10Mbps ethernet Half-duplex and Full-duplex.

Thank you.

by the specs its about 3.7-4 mbps, at the range the theoretical number of collisions begins it increment exponentially and everything comes to a standstill, of course everyone has seen utilization at 70-80 percent but at these periods of time there are many multiple collisions.

t.baranski
Level 4
Level 4

Keep in mind that a lot of this depends on the upper layer protocols being used. If you're using TCP, you're not going to get close to 10Mbps (unidirectional) on a half-duplex 10Mbps link because the TCP ACKs going back to the sender will tend to collide with the data packets, lowering throughput significantly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: