cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

etherswitch high density service modules

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

We need to deploy a Router with 64 Fast ethernet ports.I have thought of 3745 with 2xNMD-36-ESW-2GIG- 36-port 10/100 EtherSwitch HDSM with 2 GE (1000BaseT) to provide the above solution.

Now the question is how can I assign IP's to the each individual ethernet ports.I can make VLAN's and then assign IP which I think is one solution.

Can anyone suggest anything else or tell me what is the maximum number of VLAN's that can be created with the etherswitch modules in a 3745 Router.

Regards

Arijit Ray Chaudhuri.

HCL COMNET LTD.

3 Replies 3

bbranch
Level 3
Level 3

Each NMD-36-ESW can support up to 64 VLAN's. To route between VLAN's you need to use Switched Virtual Interfaces (SVI's) which are configured using VLAN interfaces. Below is the URL for the config guide for the module.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122newft/122limit/122x/122xt/122xt_2/ft1636nm.htm#xtocid3

Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.That means I can assign IP's to each VLAN and assign ports to VLAN's that will suffice as an alternative to assinging IP's to each ethernet ports.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Yes just configure each ethernet interface as a switch port and assign it to a dedicated VLAN then configure the associared VLAN interface, don't forget to define the VLAN in the VLAN Database first:

vlan database

vlan

interface FastEthernet x/y

switchport access vlan

!

interface Vlan

ip address

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: