Setup:

EIGRP routing protocol on frame

2610 Router 'LAB' connect to frame cloud

2610 Router A connected to frame cloud

2610 Router A also connected to 2610 Router B via point to point connection

Router B connected to switch

All above are on 10.0.0.0 network

Server 204.52.66.x connected to switch that Router B is connected to

The point to point connection is new. Router B used to have a connection to the frame cloud as well but that is now shutdown.

I cannot ping or tftp from the 'lab' router to the 204.52.66.x server

I CAN successfully do an Extended Ping if I put in the 'LAB' router's ethernet IP address as the source address

I CAN successfully do a Traceroute from the 'LAB' router to the server

I CAN ping the server from both Routers A and B

I CAN ping the lab router from Routers A and B

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

April

7 Replies 7

bourse
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like a routing issue. Router B probably doesn't have a route to the frame cloud subnet. Are you redistributing the subnet of the frame cloud in EIGRP, OSPF, etc...? Do a show IP route of the LAB router's frame interface address on router B and see what if anything is in the routing table.

I am adding something to this original answer: I cannot ping any 204.52.66.xx device from the lab router. I CAN ping that network from the other routers. Also, I was incorrect saying TRACEROUTE was working from the 'Lab' router to the 204.52.66.x server It stops at the WAN interface on Router B.

I typed 'sh ip route 10.254.254.46' on Router 'B' - the one the switch is attached to. It shows: Known via EIGRP 1 and below that says 'redistributing via EIGRP'. I believe that's what you meant for me to do. The .46 is the IP address on the interface of the lab router that goes to the frame cloud.

Try these tests:

- Can you ping 10.254.254.46 from router B?

- Can you ping ethernet interface of LAB from router B?

- Does an extended ping from router B's ethernet interface work to 10.254.254.46?

- Does an extended ping from router B's ethernet interface work to LAB's ethernet interface.

This should give you a good idea if your routing is setup properly. In any case, if you do a show ip route on either LAB or on router B, they should know of the route from router A. Make sure also you don't have any stray static routes from a past configuration. Hope this helps.

I tried all of those tests and yes I can do all of them successfully.

When I do a traceroute from the 10.1.99.1 'lab' router to the 204.52.66.114 server, it stops at the serial interface of Router B. I assume that means that Router B somehow doesn't know how to get back to 10.1.99.1 even though I can ping the lab router from Router B and vice versa. That's where I get very confused. If I can ping the two end routers and center router with no problem from any router, I guess I think that all is fine then. Until I tried to ping a device off of Router B, via a switch, then confusion set in. I do not see any strange static routes.

Just to confirm, all routers can ping each other. From LAB router you cannot ping server hanging off of router B's ethernet segment. Is this the issue? Do you have any ACLs applied to router B's WAN interface? Are the servers configured with the right gateway?

Got it! The default gateway for the 204.x.x.x servers was a 2nd redundant router. That router still had a subint 'active' to the lab router, although it was shutdown on the lab router's side. Once we shut it down, all is well.....

Thank you for your questions, it took us to the answer - as well as TAC help.

April

bourse
Level 1
Level 1

Sounds like a routing issue. Router B probably doesn't have a route to the frame cloud subnet. Are you redistributing the subnet of the frame cloud in EIGRP, OSPF, etc...? Do a show IP route of the LAB router's frame interface address on router B and see what if anything is in the routing table.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco