Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

extended vlan in 3550

I just read some document saying that you need go into tranparent mode to enable extended vlan(1006-4096). My question is: 1.which server should go into tranparent mode, assuming that I have there 3550(1 server and 2 clients).2. After I changed it to tranparent, should I convert it back to server mode?

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: extended vlan in 3550

Hi,

according to the Software Configuration Guide:

If you want ot use extended VLANs, you have to move to the VTP transparent mode and stay in int.

To your questions:

IMHO, the answers are:

ad 1. You have to go to the transparent mode on all switches which would use extended VLAN range

ad 2. Youi can't go back to server mode - you would loose the extended VLAN possibility on the switch.

Read http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/c3550/12119ea1/3550scg/swvlan.htm#1200242 for details.

Regards,

Milan

Re: extended vlan in 3550

Thanks

So I guess it usually used in ISP to dedicate a port to a cutomer with dedicatd vlan. It won't be a good solution for a company use server-client vtp infrastructure since if you enable the transparent it means u disable the VTP .

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content