Views
Helpful
Replies

Factory reset on cisco 1811

IM-Design
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have a new cisco 1811 that I have perfomed a factory reset on. Here is what I did:

-Connected via console

-Ctrl-Break to get to "Rommon 1>" prompt

-Entered 'confreg 0x142'

-Entered 'reset'

-Entered save running-config startup-config

I expected that this procedure would return me to the default state where I received the router, with the ability to connect to a 10.10.10.x network and start SDM.

Needless to say, I am a cisco newbie.

Please help.

TIA

charlie

6 Replies 6

stomasko
Level 4
Level 4

Try looking at the website below. Look at the area near the bottom on enabling SDM on an IOS startup router.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/prod_configuration_guide09186a00802c35de.html#wp44542

Hope this helps.

Steve

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I found that page and carried out the instructions, but still no joy. Here is an update on my learning process:

-I now know that the rommon prompt (which I got to using Ctrl-Break from within hyperterm on window XP connected to the console) is the system that causes the IOS system to boot. When I changed the confreg parameter from the rommon prompt, I neglected to note what my current confreg setting was, so I cant change it back (help here please). At the moment, the confreg setting is 0x142. What should it be to get this router back to the state where I started with it?

-In the flash filespace, I have a number of files, all dated Nov 22 of this year, which Im assuming are what I need to get this back and going the way it was when I first poweed it up. These files are:

c181x-advipservicesk9-mz.124-2.T2.bin

sdmconfig-1811-1812.cfg

sdm.tar

es.tar

common.tar

home.shtml

home.tar

128MB.sdf

At the moment when I power-off and power-on the router, Im prompted with the following question:

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog [yes/no]. I anwser no. Im imagining that I need to change the rommon confreg setting to aviod this message and continue with the boot process.

Can someone instruct me as to how this is done?

TIA

Charlie

Change the config-register back to 2102 (probably what it was).

Reboot and let us know if that is what you were trying to accomplish.

Steve

OK,

Thanks again for the quick reply.

That seems to have done at least the boot part. Now when I re-power the router, I am no longer prompted for configuration and it starts up seemingly ok.

Follow-on question:

Earlier (after changing the confreg setting and restarting), I issued a 'copy running-config startup-config). I believe that this overwrote all of the settings that I had made since first connecting the router (since I had that option enabled in SDM).

Do I now need to re-instate the config with which the router shipped?

Is this configuration in the file sdmconfig-1811-1812.cfg?

What do I need to do to restore this configuration to the router, so that I can be back a square one?

TIA (again)

charlie

You could try doing this

copy flash:sdmconfig-1811-1812.cfg start

then reload and see if you get the SDM config prompt.

If that doesn't work you may need to just use the following website starting at task 3:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5318/prod_installation_guide09186a00803e4727.html

Good luck

Steve

Thanks,

That worked!

Lots of learning for me today. Appreciated!

Charlie

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: