cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Faheema zaheer

zaheer16269
Level 1
Level 1

last week i am unable to connect to 6509 switch over telnet,then we restarted the switch.it's was ok.when we checked show spanning-tree command,one of the port 5/7 is blocking,so what i should do now?pls help us

6 Replies 6

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

While you were not able to telnet, were you able to console in? Did you notice anything out of the ordinary? Depending on how your STP topology, it's normal to have blocking ports. What connects to port 5/7? Is it another switch?

yes,it connected to 2926 device,i didn't try to connect to console.

Is the connection a trunk or just a access VLAN? Who is the STP root for the VLAN? Does the 2926 have any other link to the 6500?

infact we have 2 nos of 6509 and 2 no of 2926 for redundancy,in a nut shell,2926 is backbone.more over 6509 connects to 3 no of 5500 switch & 3 no of 4006 switch for vlan.

2926 is connected to 7507 router

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Increase the priority on the 6509 to make it the root (assuming it's a core switch, or at least administratively desirable to be the root). All ports will be forwarding, and the loop you must have (at least one path is out the blocked port) will be resolved at some other (less critical) location.

As mentioned above, blocked ports are normal on networks with redundant connections, it's spanning-tree's job to resolve the loops and shut down the redundant path (until the primary path fails).

You can control which path becomes primary by adjusting the spanning-tree parameters.

Good Luck

Scott