cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fail Over Support

lchristie
Level 1
Level 1

I have an issue that I am trying to get resolved with regards to fail over. Here is an overview of my network design and I will list what I am trying to accomplish.

Current Design:

I have 2 Internet connections one of which is a T1 attached to a Cisco 1601 router with a firewall protecting the internal network. The second connection is a Microwave connection attached to a PC performing routing. I have drawn a rudimentary design below of our current configuration.

|-------T1-------1601-------Firewall

Internet |

|-------Microwave-------PC/Router

What we want to accomplish is to have some type of failover in place for our Internet connections. We have purchased a Cisco 2611 with an extra eth port to accomplish this task.

Future Design:

I would like to place the 2611 connecting both of our Internet lines into the 2611. I would like to know how I can configure this scenario to provide fail over support for the 2 Internet lines. Can the 2611 provide this capability? How would I configure the 2611 to use the T1 by default and then the microwave if T1 fails.

|-------T1-------1601

Internet | >----2611----Firewall

|---Micro---PC/Rout

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

1 Reply 1

aztecmother
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lee,

you should be able to use the backup interface command to set the microwave interface into standby mode. When the t1 fails it simply kicks in the microwave interface. example:

interface s0/0 (using s0/0 as T1 example)

ip addresss ####.####.###

backup interface bri0/0 ( isdn backup) (using bri0/0 as microwave example)

backup delay 30 60

no shut

Jose

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco