Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

failover and load-balancing on static routes

i have a configuration like below :

cisco 2610 with single eth. port which connected through ctalyst 2900 : 2610's ip route is 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 e0/0

if i were get a second ip link from another isp , what kind of configuration is necessary for failover and load-balancing ?

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: failover and load-balancing on static routes

first, let me say that it is very dangerous to use the static route you have.

You should always try to avoid putting an interface as next-hop.

The reason is that the router will have to do an arp request for every destination (in your case the full internet routing table) and then save the info in an arp table which can then grow very big and consume all the memory.

Then, to answer your question, it depends.

On what type of interface (ehternet, serial, atm , ....) ?

Will you do BGP with the new ISP ?

The basic answer would be to just configure a 2nd default route pointing to the new ISP.

The router will then loadbalance over the 2 routes.

But this is just for outgoing traffic.

If you don't do BGP, you have no control over the incoming traffic.

Re: failover and load-balancing on static routes

Dear sir;

thank you for your respond to my question. i have only one ethernet port on my 2610 router and this port connected to the catalyst 2900. I got second internet connection with dsl modem/router and i want add this new connection to my network by using my single ethernet port with a secondary address and i want them to make failover , when first ip link goes down then the second one will be up. I won't use BGP at this time but static routes. Firstly i want them to make failover and then load balancing, can't i do that with static routes ? Do i have to use BGP for this ?

Views
Helpful
Replies