Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

failover default gateway for 1710

I am using a dual ethernet 1710 to connect branch offices to corporate via xDSL/IPSec connections. The 1710 has one ethernet on the private LAN side and the other port on the public WAN side is connected to the providers ethernet xDSL router.

I would like to bring in a second DSL router as a backup link. My thinking is that I would connect both DSL routers and the WAN side of the 1710 to a hub and give the 1710 WAN port two IP addresses, one for each provider.

The questions then becomes, how do I get the 1710 to use the second router only if the first fails? I don't want to add two default routes because that would lead to problems with my IPSec config when the router start load balancing packets to corporate using different public IPs.

Thanks,

Diego

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: failover default gateway for 1710

try this:

change the adminstrative distance of the second default route to say 20 or something...

Should the first default route fail, its Admin distance goes to 255, thus preferring the second....

but there's the rub... What constitutes a failure for the route? The 1710 will use the DSL router's ethernet interface as its next hop. When and if the DSL line goes down the ethernet side of the DSL router will still be "pingable". How will the 1710 know the route is down? Will somebody have to manually turn off or disconnect the non functioning router?

Thanks,

Diego

Cisco Employee

Designing backup for DSL line is always very tricky. Router need to know some way that the DSL line is lost its ip connectivity and in your case there is no way to do that. So you need to think something else here.

Views
Helpful
Replies