Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

failover, load balancing, band sharing - problem

I would like to accomplish the following task:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/5656/0c7j.jpg

SW-A and SW-B two separate subnets, without any contact with each other.

• 1. Router A would perform as a gateway for computers connected to SW-A
  • 2. Router B would perform as a gateway for computers connected to SW-B
  • 3. Router A transfer all of your unused band "gives" to Router B (office to run periodically and sometimes weeks or even months when it is not used, we do not want to band a wasted)
  • 4. Router A has a band of 8/8
  • 5. Router B has a band of 8/8 + unused band of router A
  • 6. In case of failure of Router A router B takes over as the gateway to SW-A giving him 50% of the total band
  • 7. In case of failure of Router B router A takes over as the gateway to SW-B giving him 75% of the total band

Is this possible? problem is point 3. and points. 5, whether Cisco can manage and share transfer unused band ? on which devices can be done? (routers, firewalls ?)

sorry for my english

Thanks

dk

• Other Network Infrastructure Subjects
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super Bronze

Re: failover, load balancing, band sharing - problem

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It might be either the partners you've spoken to are incompetent to do what you're requesting, or they and/or myself don't fully understand what you're asking.  I will say I've done load sharing (outbound) using OER/PfR with HSRP/GLBP.  Works very nice, and although there's some learning required, not really too difficult.  PfR supports ingress sharing too, but ingress sharing can be very, very difficult to deal with.  Much depends on what's on the "outside".

As to sizing a router, number of users often means little.  What's important is how much (and sometimes kind of) traffic will be passing through the router.  I've attached a Cisco document that will explain much about ISR performance for different traffic loads and kinds.

4 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps8787/products_ios_protocol_option_home.html

Thanks for the quick reply,

I know that I need to use:
PfR, VRF, HSRP, IP SLA, but...

Unfortunately when I sent a request to Cisco partners for the proposed equipment, it turned out that the implementation of this task is impossible.
so I wanted to make sure

I proposed 1941 or 2911 with licenses Date and SEC do you think it will be ok? (50 users, standard office traffic [www, e-mail])

Best regards

dk

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It might be either the partners you've spoken to are incompetent to do what you're requesting, or they and/or myself don't fully understand what you're asking.  I will say I've done load sharing (outbound) using OER/PfR with HSRP/GLBP.  Works very nice, and although there's some learning required, not really too difficult.  PfR supports ingress sharing too, but ingress sharing can be very, very difficult to deal with.  Much depends on what's on the "outside".

As to sizing a router, number of users often means little.  What's important is how much (and sometimes kind of) traffic will be passing through the router.  I've attached a Cisco document that will explain much about ISR performance for different traffic loads and kinds.

thank you very much

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.