Views
Helpful
Replies

Failover with one Router

aj24
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I have not been able to find a definitive solution to this query anywhere. Can a 1750 failover on it's own interfaces? Ie - ISDN or Serial link to ISP on Interface A and ADSL Link to ISP on Interface B. If the default ISDN link goes down can the ADSL Link come up automatically [could be to a different ISP or the same]?

I know you can have failover between two routers with HSRP. But can you do the above?

Thanks, AJ24

2 Replies 2

mljohnson
Level 4
Level 4

Failover with ISDN is always problematic, since the ISDN interface will ALWAYS be up/up (spoofing). So failure of ISDN (layer1 or layer 2) will not effect the dialing. What you would ordinarily do, with multiple ISDN interfaces, is to put them into a rotary group and use the command "dialer rotor best" so that we will rollover to the next interface when dialing fails, and we will automatically try the last successful interface for dialing. In your case, however, the other interface is ADSL, and I don't know of a way to incorporate this.

Thank you for your response, as it turns out i was sent the incorrect config!

They have a frame relay connection on Serial0- leased line 2mb pipe for internet access.

They want to plug eth1 into BT ADSL line and use this as failover.

I was thinking that - setting a second Default route with a lower value may do the trick for the ADSL failover idea? What do you think?

Ie they will always try the frame relay Serial connection first but if this becomes unavailable then with any luck the second route will be tried via eth1 over adsl.

Different ISP's of course.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: