cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fast EtherChannel Question on Catalyst 2950's

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

I have 2 switches 2950-24's that currently each have port #'s 23 and 24 configured for port group 1 to effect a Fast Etherchannel between the two. I want to introduce a 3rd switch into the config to increase port density. I also want to connect this 3rd switch to existing config via Fast Etherchannel. I am confused about the numbering of the port group on the third switch. If I connect one of the existing 2 switches via its port 21 and 22, I would configure these ports on that box as port group 2, since port group 1 is defined already. Does the port group on the new 3rd switch need to match the numbering port group 2 to effect the FastEtherchannel, or do I call the port group on the 3rd switch port group 1, since it is the only FastEtherchannel on that switch?

1 Reply 1

Prashanth Krishnappa
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That is correct. Port group numbers are only locally Significant. So you can have ports in port group 1 on your third switch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: