Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

FastEthernet0/0 line protocol is down

hi everybody

I have 2610xm with a fastethernet interface ,i just set on this interface no shut command , but this port is working after some times it would be down with this message :FastEthernet0/0 line protocol is down , but in sho interface f0/0 the interface is up just line protpcol is down.

could you pls help me what is the problem?

thanks

4 REPLIES
Community Member

Re: FastEthernet0/0 line protocol is down

is your fe port connected to a switch?

Community Member

hi

yes to fa of switch but if i connect this port of router to pc with cross over cable , this problem exists again.

Hi .. you might be experincing some duplex issues .. try by harcoding the duplex on both side of the connection .. on the switch port and also on the router's interface try duplex full ..

I hope it helps .. please rate it if it does !!!

Green

Try another cable, preferably a commercially made cable.

If the cable is bad (kinked, crushed, twisted, stretched, has exposed wires behind the conector ...), or poorly terminated (bad pair order, lost twist, exposed wires behind the connector, incomplete IDC ....) it can cause these kind of symptoms.

For example: Does it seem to work at 10 meg OK? Maybe work with 100 half? Dies at 100 full duplex?

These would usually be caused by a split pair on pins 3 & 6 ... meaning that the connectors are (usually) terminated with the wrong pair order (pair, pair, pair, pair instead of EIA/TIA 568a or 568b).

Try another known good cable. See if the problem goes away of changes.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content