cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fax server and a channelized T1

robyn
Level 1
Level 1

I’m having trouble conceptualizing how a fax server and a channelized T1 will work with an existing data network. A fax server sits on an ethernet segment, attached to a small/mid sized router (let us say a 26/36xx). The router has an existing WAN connection for data traffic. A new channelized T1 (analog trunks) will be brought in specifically for fax traffic. Do I put a NM-1CT1-CSU into the router? If so, how does this work? How does the router receive incoming fax traffic and know to send it to the fax server? How is it relating a called number to an IP address? What about outgoing faxes?

Any input is much appreciated!

2 Replies 2

bwalchez
Level 4
Level 4

If your Fax server support T.38, it should be possible. Just follow this link

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fvvfax_c/vvffax.htm#xtocid67

to configure your router

and check your Fax server doc to find out how to peer with the router for making outgoing fax

I think it must depend on the fax server. At my last organization we used Rightfax, and they make a T1 card that installs in the fax server. Faxes coming in are routed to the correct location by either the fax number, or an ID number placed at the end of the fax number.