Views
Helpful
Replies

Feasability study and design of a 10GE LAN & internet gateway

internaut2001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

I am conducting a feasability study for a client. They wish to install a 10G ethernet backbone for a campus of 20 buildings. 1G at the edge.

There will also be a gateway to the public internet. The modular solution should be scalable, redundant and secure.

- 20 buildings

- 5 floors

- 1 wiring closet

- 20 rooms per floor, assume at least 1 connection per room

Anyone out there care to offer a network blueprint?

Sorry, not an ideal brief, but that's about as much as I have to go on. Looking for something to get me started.

Thanks for your time

Peter

1 Reply 1

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

I cannot offer a complete solution but a few hints perhaps:

Most important you have to be careful in choosing the fiber cabling. Not all types of fiber are capable of carrying 10G. You will need single mode or Avaya LazrSpeed cable. In the case of existing fiber cabling the 10G requirement may mean an expensive fiber upgrade operation. Take this into consideration.

Calculating your numbers I come to 100 users per building. This times 100Mb is exactly 10G for a non-blocking setup. I do not know what component are available at the moment that support a 10G connection. You may end up with some modular 35xx switch for the wiring closets for the sake of the money. In the core you will need a number of 6500 series switches with 256Mb backplane. Will cost enough anyway.

Regards,

Leo