cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FEC? GEC? What the difference?

tato386
Level 6
Level 6

I am pretty familiar with FEC, but don't know much about GEC. Is it just like FEC but using 1GB ports on a switch? Here's why I ask. I have a stack of 3 3548 switches that I have interconnected using the GBIC ports. I want to introduce a 3550-12T switch to this stack and I want to increase the bandwidth between the new switch and the rest of the stack. Can I combine two GBICs in a team between the 3550-12T and one of the stack members? Is this what is meant by GEC?

Thanks,

Diego

2 Replies 2

donewald
Level 6
Level 6

Assuming these are being used in context of Etherchannel where FEC would be FastEthernet interfaces within an Etherchannel and GEC would be GigabitEthernet interfaces in one. Etherchannel is a technology used to bundle links to make it appear as one larger link, used to provide redundancy and more bandwidth.

FEC is also used in the MPLS world and stands for Forward Equivalance Class, but am not sure if this is the context you are asking about these.

Hope this is what you were after,

Don

efrahim
Level 4
Level 4

yes you are correct about the GEC, it is the same as FEC except it uses GB ports. Inany you can bundle of two ports between two switches to get more bandwidth.