Cisco Support Community
Community Member

FEC traffic balance problem betwen a catalyst 5500 switch and a 7500 router

Hi, i have a router connected to a switch vlan via a port channel formed of two fast ethernet interfaces. The switch is a catalyst 5509 and the problem i am having is that the router just receive packets into one of then FE interface of the port channel, my initial goal in configuiring the port channel was to ease the amount of traffic on the one fast ethernet i had connected to the switch, but now the result is the same cause the traffic is entered just for one fastethernet. Now, for output traffic the portchannel is working cause the packets are going out through both fast ethernet interfaces. Is there is some configuration i can do on my switch or router to solve this situation, please let me know.

Thanks ahead!!

Re: FEC traffic balance problem betwen a catalyst 5500 switch an

I am afraid that it works as it should.

The cause for this anomaly is that the load-sharing of traffic over the links is done on the base of destination mac-adress. When your router is the destination, there is just one mac-adress, so only one channel is used. In the opposite direction, there are multiple destinations, i.e. all nodes on the network that communicate with the router. Therefore, in that direction it works as one would expect. With more recent software, you can select whether to use source- or destination mac for traffic balancing. Please check your software documentation on the description of port-channel configuration.

CreatePlease to create content