Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Fiber Trunk between Catalyst slow down network.

Hi,

I have two 5505 Catalyst connected with a 4 port trunk. Now I have purchased a 9 gigabit port card for each one to quit the bottleneck between them. But when i connected the gigabit wire between catalyst, it caused a slow down in the network, some vlans started to go very slow, with high latency. The spantree worked fine blocking the 4 port trunk.

(The reason for buying the 9 gigabit card it´s to connect 6 more 5509 to the 2 mentioned above.)

Any idea? Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES

Re: Fiber Trunk between Catalyst slow down network.

I believe the backplane on a 55xx is 3.6 gbps and then this can only be achieved when the cards are in certain postions, something like 3 x 1.2 gps.

Cisco Employee

The backplane on the 5505 is limited to 3 X 1.2 Gbps, but the 5410 (9-port) Gigabit blade does do local switching. Therefore, it is very useful as an distribution card.

As far as getting slow performance, I would swap the GBICs and check the interface counters for any errors. In addition, the 5410 runs the its own software and I would recommend upgrading the software on the 5410 to the latest.

Also check to see if you are running MLS with an RSM. It certain situations, the utlization from the 5410 card can over-subscribe the Inline Rewrite capability of the Supervisor. You see if "banff" errors in the syslog if you are running into this problem.

Hi, I don´t have RSM installed. I also tried to change the GBIC without success.

These are the soft version for the catalysts (both of them), :

Hardware Version: 1.0 Model: WS-C5505 Serial #: 066580322

Mod Port Model Serial # Versions

--- ---- ---------- --------- ----------------------------------------

1 2 WS-X5550 025483991 Hw : 1.2

Fw : 5.1(1)

Fw1: 5.2(1)

Sw : 6.1(1)

3 9 WS-X5410 027746284 Hw : 1.2

Fw : 4.2(500)

Fw1: 4.2(500)

Sw : 5.1(1)

4 24 WS-X5234 027536985 Hw : 1.1

Fw : 4.5(2)

Sw : 6.1(1)

The sh counters on the Gigabit interface shows no errors. Log is fine ...

ANd the Gigabit cards has been tested ( I have two devices connected to them working fine). I wish this info is useful for you.

Regards

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content