cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Find out model number of plugged-in SFP

rsnd
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, it seems rather trivial to me but I haven't been able to find any info about it:

Is there a way to determine the model number of an SFP that is in use, via the cli or something similar? I've got several switches which are connected via SFP GBIC's and I would like to know what model or type they are, but since this is in a production environment I can't just go and unplug them to take a look ;)

Thanks in advance!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

If you do a show interface status it should bring up a list of the interfaces, whether they are connected, and will also tell you the media type.

From the media type you can work out the part code.

1000SX - GLC-SX-MM

1000LX/LH - GLC-LH-SM

1000ZX - GLC-ZX-SM

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

can you try out with show idprom interface gigabitethernet x/x ??

i use this command in my catalyst boxes to get the serial numbers of those SFPs installed.

regds

Hi, thanks for your answer.

I tried this on a 3560, however on the switch this command doesn't support anything else than a 10-Gigabit Ethernet interface:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_command_reference_chapter09186a00804761a3.html#wp6007925

IOS comes back with the following output:

============================

ES_SER_18#sh idprom ?

interface Specify an interface for idprom display

ES_SER_18#sh idprom int gigabitethernet0/28

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

ES_SER_18#sh idprom gigabitethernet0/28

^

% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

============================

But although there apparently isn't any way to directly see the exact model number of an SFP, I found what I was looking for by looking at the media type in the 'sh int' command. In my case, it showed '1000BaseSX SFP', which was enough info for me.

Thanks for your help anyways!

Regards

Martin Parry
Level 3
Level 3

Hi

If you do a show interface status it should bring up a list of the interfaces, whether they are connected, and will also tell you the media type.

From the media type you can work out the part code.

1000SX - GLC-SX-MM

1000LX/LH - GLC-LH-SM

1000ZX - GLC-ZX-SM

Hope this helps