cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

flash memory upgrade on a 3640

eheather
Level 1
Level 1

I added a 16MB flash simm to a 3640 router. I left the original 4MB simm in slot 0. When rebooting the router, I was dropped into ROMMON. Why wasn't the router able to locate and load the original IOS? Does this always happen when adding flash memory? I'm running ver 11.1 and would like to upgrade.

3 Replies 3

j-bliss
Level 1
Level 1

The ios is on the flash. You can also add a PCMCIA/PCCARD to a 3640 to boot flash/config. You can install a PCMCIA in the box copy the IOS to Flashx: upgrade the flash sim. boot the router on the PCMCIA card and the TFTP your upgraded code to the router. Just a suggestion.

d.thaker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Heather

when you drop in ROMMON do you have tried to boot it manually ? If it doen't then try to do it manually to boot. By giving command "boot flash:file_Name"

If router boots then you can upgrade your IOS.

No I didn't try to boot manually. Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try. Do you know if this always happens when adding flash memory?

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: