cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Floating static route

mreilly
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1751 router with a t1 connected to a wic. I set up a cable modem into the 10baset card.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 216.152.229.73

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Ethernet0/0 100

Here is the problem I set up a floating static route so that if the t1 goes down the cable modem would be the backup. I tested this about 3 months ago and it worked great, now the customer's t1 is down and the cable modem is not working as the backup. I had the customer check the cable modem and it is working. Do I need to clear out the routing table or something? Maybe reboot the router?

3 Replies 3

t.baranski
Level 4
Level 4

If the T1's interface is still in the up/up state, the connected route to 216.152.229.73 will stay in the routing table; hence, the default pointing to 216.152.229.73 will as well, so the floating default won't take over.

T1 outages that don't result in an interface state change are relatively rare compared to other technologies such as Frame Relay, but it does happen.

Thanks for the help but it turned out to be the dns settings. The customer had added the isp's dns servers to his internal dns as forwarders. When the isp's t1 went down so did there dns.