Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Forcing a router to forward multicast?????

I have two routers with an ethernet interface and a t1 between them.

I have a stream server connected to router A's ethernet and a receiver connected to router B's ethernet. In a normal situation I would specify IP PIM *some*-mode on the ethernet interfaces and the t1 interfaces and let the receiver make an IGMP request to get the routers to forward the multicast from the stream server. The problem I have is that the receiver does not support IGMP and just snoops its ethernet interface. Further more the stream could be sent on any number of multicast ip addresses. Is there a way to force multicast traffic from the ethernet of router a to the ethernet of router b?

At the moment I have added the IP IPMG JOIN (address) comand on the ethernet interface of router B. It works but the problem with this is that the comand does not acept any wild cards. For my situation I would have to enter one comand for every ip address between and Not an Ideal solution. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Forcing a router to forward multicast?????

Since there has been no response to your post, it appears to be either too complex or too rare an issue for other forum members to assist you. If you don't get a suitable response to your post, you may wish to review our resources at the online Technical Assistance Center ( or speak with a TAC engineer. You can open a TAC case online at

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

Community Member

Re: Forcing a router to forward multicast?????

You could use bridging from your first router Ethernet to your second router's ethernet, if you don't have any other traffic type on the link which needs routing. This isn't a clean solution either, though !

Hope it helps !

CreatePlease to create content