Views
Helpful
Replies

Forwarding Multicast with TTL=1

gary.cf.wong
Level 1
Level 1

Dear group,

I am currently having a project of placing a 2621 on a customer's multicast network. However, the source came from their network is configured to have TTL=1 which the router will not forward these packets. Customer refused to change TTL on their application level, so is there any way I can get rid of this TTL=1 limitation to the router so that I can forward multicast out?

2 Replies 2

millerv
Level 1
Level 1

I looked all over what multicast doc I had, just about everything pointed to the fact that the app

sets the ttl. have you run this by the TAC yet?

After going through all the docs around and had a conversation with Cisco engineer, I am pretty sure this is not doable on a router. Therefore I try to modify the solution into a L2 device, like a 3550-12T using VACL for simple packet filtering. This is somewhat very contradicting (as per customer's request) that they want a L3+ firewall but need a pure L2 device for not interrupting multicase.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: