cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

fraction T1 line

islj
Level 1
Level 1

When i configure a 256k line on a 2620 router do i need to configure clock,data-coding, timeslot, framing, and linecode on the interface or would it take its default settings.

Thanks,

James

5 Replies 5

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to configure it. Here is the link which helps you with that depending on the module that you want to configure.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/cis2500/2524/boa/boaconf.htm

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

It depends on whether you are using a WIC with internal CSU or a WIC which need external CSU.

Most CSU should have default configurations, put in, except for the channel definitions (usually will be set to full T1 - all 24 channels on), so that its just plug and play. Just to make sure, you might want to check with your service provider, what the coding, timeslot (ascending/descending), framing, linecode etc is.

A sample command to set 256 on your T1 line would be,

256 k - means 64k * 4 channels

command - service-module t1 timeslots 1-4 speed 64

More commands can be found here...

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios120/12cgcr/inter_r/irmdl.htm#xtocid17825162

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thisisshanky,

what if i set it to its default timeslots all 24 channels would it work?

would it pick up 1-4 with speed 64? Or do i have to call my provider and get the timeslots

Thanks,

James

Hello James,

When you subscribe for a 256k from the provider, they provision first 4 channels on their switch.( or it cud be last 4 channels too - usually first X channels are allocated)

If you set your internal or external CSU to its default timeslots of all 24 channels, it wont work. The channels settings should align with what is set at the provider end.

You dont really need to call the provider, unless you are having problems, with connectivity, after setting the first 4 channels.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Even when getting bandwidth totalling less than a T1, it isn't always the case that only a subset of the T1's channels are used, right? We've gotten 5 or so 256K frame circuits of late, all brought in via T1's, and only in 2 cases was I required to tell the router which channels to use -- the others worked with the default of all channels.

Anyone know what determines whether or not only some channels are used? Is it just the carrier's preference?