cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay Backup

bmeinck
Level 1
Level 1

Have an existing FR T-1 would like to use (for backup purposes) 4 channels off one of my "straight" T-1 which is being used for voice. I have already setup the CSU's on both sides via serial on two 1601's. All of the configs that I have found thus far relate to ISDN dialer commands.

4 Replies 4

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have more information? It sounds like you have some other (primary) route between the two sites and you just want the frame to kick in if the primary goes down.

Easily done with a routing protocol like OSPF or EIGRP.

What did I miss?

Mick.

The Frame is the primary link. It is configured through a WIC on S1. What I am trying to do is add a backup using a 4 channels of a ptp t-1 AMI. I guess where I get confused is how to configure the S0 interface and have it be the stand in since there is now "dialing" per se. Thanks for your help!

Just to make sure i have it straight:

FR is primary connection between site A and B. Sites A and B *also* have a P2P T1 that carries voice traffic only. You want to carve out 4 channels of the T1 for data in the event you lose your frame connection.

Your external CSU/DSU needs to have interfaces for both PBX and serial.

No prob. Set both side's serial interfaces to HDLC, give them IPs, and run a routing protocol like OSPF or EIGRP. Be sure that the Bandwidth on the backup interface is set lower than the primary's or you may inadvertantly load-balance.

Where does the dialing come in? What am I missing?

Mick.

I guess that I thought I needed to designate some sort of backup (dialer) configuration. But, you have answered my question. I don't need to designate it as a backup because it sounds like it will automatically fall back when the primary link is down. Thanks for helping out!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: