cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame Relay command - reports conflict

hzmtvq
Level 1
Level 1

I used following Cisco command to display Frame Relay connection on our network. The response is somehow confusing and am trying to understand the logic or there is some other problem.

#sh frame-relay map

serial1/0.4 (administratively down): point-to-point dlci, dlci 354(0x162,0x5820), broadcast, BW = 64000

status defined, active)

serial1/0.1 (up)): point-to-point dlci, dlci 353(0x161,0x5810), broadcast, BW = 64000

status defined, active)

You notice serial1/0.4 reported as administratively down when status is active and working Production.

Using a different command at the same time

#sh frame-relay pvc

PVC statistics for interface serial1/0 (Frame Relay DTE)

DLCI = 354, DLCI USAGE = LOCAL, PVC STATUS = ACTIVE, INTERFACE = Serial1/0.4

input pkts 5809877 output pkts 5790506 ....

I can PING to the remote device through serial1/0.4

Can anyone tell me how to interpret the response 'administratively down'

Thanks

2 Replies 2

MickPhelps
Level 1
Level 1

Administratively down just means that the sub-interface serial 1/0.4 has been shutdown. The main interface serial 1/0 is still receiving LMI from the frame switch. Technically, the PVC is active since you're receiving LMI on it.

I'm surprised to see that you can ping over it. When you do a show frame pvc, are there any references to that DLCI that have been dynamically mapped to serial 1/0?

You may wanto try and do an extended ping with the source being the IP of the interface that is shutdown... just in case the packet is finding a different route or using a different IP.

Mick.

Administratively down mean the interface on the router has has been shut down. The pvc status still shows active since the telco PVC is not what was actually shut down. If you issue the "no shut" command on the interface your connection should come up.

Dave